Thursday, April 28, 2016

Content Outline

Planning out the Final Project

Opening Section: Introduction to my writing process and how I have grown through the class through my three previous projects. I am going to touch on my skills in time management, learning new technology, and adapting to unfamiliar situations.

Main Body Section: Time Management

Through this semester my time management skills have increased exponentially. My time management varied for every week of the blog work. Blogs took up nearly all my time for this course and were a large part of the course-load. I was very inconsistent for time management. One week I would sit down and crank out a ton of blogs as early as Tuesday of the week and then having nothing to do for the rest of the week. On another week I would tell myself that I would get all of the blogs done early but would instead spend massive amounts of time staring at a blank blog early in the week and procrastinate it all the way until Sunday. Other times I would maybe get 1/4th of the blogs done early in the week and left with a slightly smaller load when Sunday came around. On the worst of the time management weeks I would procrastinate the blogs completely and leave them all for Sunday to do from when I woke up all the way to the deadline of midnight that day. On Super Bowl Sunday I spent the entire day doing blog work while the game played off to the side and I only caught glimpses of the game and the famous commercials that played throughout. In all, time management was one of the hardest aspects of the course and if it was not done well through the semester it could possible end to a snowball effect of not getting any of the blog work done. I will also show examples of blogs where I managed my time effectively and examples of blogs where I may have been rushed and ran out of time to complete the blog to the quality that I would have liked. 

Main Body Section: Learning New Technology

For this class I had to work in two different mediums that I had never experienced in my academic career and these were a podcast and a video essay. My very first project was a podcast and I had no idea what to do at the start. Luckily I am very familiar with technology and a quick learner as I worked in the Geek Squad fixing computers throughout most of high school. I found the program audacity was on of the most popular programs and downloaded it then played around. After messing around with the program for a little bit I was able to make a podcast easily. Then I already had a quality microphone to create the project and made a podcast that I am very proud of. 

The next struggle when it came to learning new technology was the video essay. I have never created a video essay in my life and had no idea where to begin. I spent so much time struggling with the mental barrier that was the daunting task of having to create a video essay. I had not the slightest idea what program I would use to edit my video, where I would get my video clips from, where I would get audio from, and what content I would create in my video. When it comes to creating videos I am one of the least creative people that I have ever met. After overcoming the fear of creating a video however I was able to work my way through it and figure out how to successfully create a video essay.

Main Body Section: Adapting to Unfamiliar Situations

This class brought me into many unfamiliar situations that I was not ready for. The main and first unfamiliar situation that I faced was Google Blogger. I had never blogged a day in my life and had absolutely no idea where to begin. The idea of creating blogs for my content seemed so vague to me and I did not know what or how much information to include. I struggled with how long my blogs should be, how they should be structured, and how well the writing needed to be for them. At first in the blogs I was writing at the highest quality as if I were writing an academic essay every time I made a blog. I had no idea how to put a picture in, how to cite it, how to make a good title for a blog, how to have a sentence that pulled the audience it. It was all so foreign to me but I had to figure out a way. Overtime the blogs became easier and I got into a good rhythm when making them.

Another unfamiliar situations was the tasks for the blogs. One specific example was finding the academic journal when I had never been in the library due to study rooms and had never looked at any upper level academic journals before. 

Closing: Explaining a Large Significance 

My conclusion will tie all these concepts together to show a struggle that everyone can relate with. All of these different topics combine to create the biggest hardships that I had with this class. The conclusion will also relate with the audience that all the blogs and projects are nearly over and we can be proud of the work that we have completed.





4 comments:

  1. It seems that you have a good handle on what this project is asking and you have a good base to build around. I thought that you had a good amount of detail in each paragraph, especially giving specific examples of time management issues. I thought that the unfamiliar situations section could use some more concrete examples but I'm sure you will address that in the main project itself. Good organization so far, you're putting my project to shame so far so good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick this is going to be a totally dope project because you are so dope dude, like super dope. Suggestions for your QRG are going to be the following:

    1. Hyperlink the hell out of your blogs man. These will be your primary resources and it makes the QRG look dope.

    2. Use pictures to make the project look dope. It adds white space to the project and gives it a dope vibe.

    3. Make sure to use a dope introduction to get the audience's attention.

    Overall, I think if you follow my advice your project will go from being just kind of dope to totally dope. Have fun being dope brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nick,

    I agree with the last two commenters, and believe that your content outline is well on its way to becoming a success. Expanding upon their ideas, I believe your main body paragraphs do include general example which is good for this blog post, but make sure to pick out specific blogs, including time especially for the time management section, and compare them or allow the audience to view them using hyperlinks.

    Also, make sure to include specific details in terms of the writing process, and while including your own opinion, make sure to back it up with factual support.

    Otherwise great outline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick-

    As a whole, your outline is pretty detailed and well put together. It seems like you have a firm understanding as to what is expected from this project. There are a few things that I may recommend.

    First, remember to include images in your QRG (like Jake so graciously stated). These will add to the overall effectiveness of the portrayal of your ideas. They add that "easiness" to read that no other genre (besides a video) has.

    Also, make sure to include a hook in the intro and some time of interesting last comment in your conclusion. This will make the audience more engaged in your topic, which will allow you to more effectively convey your ideas.

    Also, make sure to include links to all of your proposed sources. This will allow the audience to better understand what you are referencing.

    I would agree with Jake, this is a great outline.

    ReplyDelete