Sunday, January 24, 2016

Course Projects

What are you most confused by or nervous about in regards to the four major projects?

I am most nervous about the workload presented by the four major projects. Another thing that I am nervous about for the four major projects is the time management and planning that will need to go into each of the four projects. If my time is not properly managed then I can fall behind on the projects easily and in turn ruin my grade in the class.

What are you most interested in or excited by in regards to the four major projects?

        Coffman, Drew. "Lightbulb Rainbow" via Flickr 
I am most excited by the fact that we will use a different genre for every project. This means that I will have the opportunity to do a completely different project each time whether it be a video essay, podcast, quick reference guide, or standard essay. I'm also excited how the projects can relate to my field of study, creating an overall more interesting experience for me when doing my project. 

Additionally, I am most excited for the topics of the four projects. The course final project is very exciting to me because it is a self-reflection of the semester and of myself as a person. It is going to be very interesting to reflect on how my semester went and how all the planning came to fruition throughout the semester. 

Based on your understanding of the major projects, what are the elements of this course that you have to plan ahead for? How will the coursework described in the four project assignment sheets challenge your time management skills this semester?

The main elements of this course that I will have to plan ahead for are the major projects as well as the blog posts. With such a large workload, it can be very easy to get behind in your work and lose track of the time that things need to be completed by. Also every genre has to be planned for such as the equipment needed, the preparation for each project, and the physical time needed for both research and creating each genre. The coursework described in the four project assignment sheets will challenge my time management skills because they also require a lot of planning before the fact and if you do not set aside time for each project beforehand you could be stuck waiting for equipment or left without enough time to complete the full workload of the projects.

How has your past English coursework in high school or college prepared you for the challenges of this course? What skills will you bring into the course with you?

My past English coursework in high school has prepared me greatly for the challenges of this course. First and foremost, AP Language and AP Literature both required tasking writing assignments with a great amount of analysis and discussion, Through these classes I was able to thrive as a writer and improve on the talents that I already have. Additionally, both courses taught how to research properly and record the research that you take. I am confident that both courses have prepared me greatly for this course and leave me with important writing, critical thinking, and researching skills that are important in any workplace.

Do you have any questions about the four major projects that haven't been answered by the assignment sheets? What do you still want to know?

I do not appear to have many questions that have not been answered by the assignment sheets. The only inquiry that I may have regards the creative freedom that is given and exactly how the projects will be graded regarding professionalism and content.

Reflection

After reading my classmates posts and their feelings I learned and realized a great amount. The first and most important thing that I learned was that I am not alone or bizarre for having feelings of nervousness and doubt when looking over all four projects and the workload that we will have throughout the semester. I also realized that I have close to the same educational background as the other students in my class, a realization that aided in putting my nerves at ease as I look towards the future of the class and wonder about my success within the course. In all I am excited about the course and feel confident about my writing process this semester. 

I commented on the Course Projects pages of Jason Boley and Malik Bullock.

4 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head about the workload. The hardest thing to do when you see a deadline 4 weeks away is to tell yourself "I really need to do some today". However, in 27 days, you find yourself hitting your head wondering why nothing got done sooner. I too realized that everyone else procrastinates too, but I guess that it's just a matter of priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think all of us are feeling a bit uneasy about how much work this class is going to be but likewise, just like you, I am looking forwards to utilizing new genres that I am not used to and personally I am very excited about how individually driven/centered this class seems to be. A little critique on your post though : The header questions and text body are pretty close together which makes reading it a bit hard on the eyes of the reader. I would suggest spacing things out in your post just for aesthetics sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to you when you're worried abot time management over the length of the course, I think I will also struggle with this. Motivating myself will be hard but you're right when you say the genres and topics will be interesting so that may help.
    I find it kind of difficult to relate how you think the course reflection might be more interesting than the other projects, but that's really just opninion. I also believe you could have include more details and have been more concise in your post, but overall I agree with most of your content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note on conventions of the blog post genre: Revisit Step 1.5 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with the conventions of blogging. You're missing items on the bulleted list of conventions there.

    ReplyDelete